Online gambling in Australia – Is it legal?
Australia is one of countries that have strict digital gambling laws and try to limit all the related activities. That’s not a surprise, cause there are lots of problem gamblers in the country who have serious issues with casino games addiction. The statistics says that Aussies lose billions of dollars annually and the expenditures reach up to 1000 AUD per person annually.
Such threatening numbers motivated government to make the laws more strict year after year. It has both positive and negative sides. The advantage is that problem gamblers have less ways to access casinos. The downside of such legislation is that online gambling industry is not regulated in Australia, while there are still lots of off-shore companies that offer their services to Australian players.
The major document that sets rules in the market is Australia’s Interactive Gambling Act. It was passed in 2001 and then significantly updated in 2016 and 2017. It prohibits to:
- operate gambling websites in the country;
- off-shore online casinosto offer their services to Aussies;
- advertise online gambling;
- make in-play bets in sports betting.
After the latest 2016 and 2017 changes many operators have left Australian market, but lots of them are still there. The fact is that the law has no real influence on off-shore casinos. Legislation may prohibit them to accept Aussies, but there is no actual way to impose any punishment for violating it. So, online casinos in Australia 2021 keep accepting players, provide casino bonuses and offer real-money games.
On state level there are regulatory authorities that are responsible for gambling policy in the region. They’re:
- ACT Racing and Gambling Commission;
- NT Gaming machine Commission;
- Queensland Office of Gaming Regulation;
- NSW Department of Gaming and Racing;
- Gaming Supervisory Authority etc.
Let’s now move to the most important part of gambling laws in Australia. All the legislation directly influences gaming operators. On the other hand, there is no law that prohibits Aussies to play casino games or make bets on sports online. It’s absolutely legal. You can freely join the casino from our rating of the best online gambling sites and play for money. Moreover, according to the Australian laws all your wins are not taxable at all. In this case the country’s legislation is softer than in most other regions in the world.
How do we choose gambling sites for our rating?
Casinos should meet the highest industry standards to be a part of the list you can see on this page. First of all, they have to operate under legal gambling licenses issued by industry authorities like:
- UK Gambling Commission;
- Malta Gaming Authority;
- Kahnawake Gambling Commission;
- Curacao E-gaming;
- Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner.
The license should be valid. We always check it when we make online casino reviews. If the website is regulated by one of mentioned organizations, then its users are protected in case of any disputes.
Of course, the best online gambling sites will offer you lots of games. The software should be provided by trustworthy and reputable developers. All the games must have fair Return to Player Rate and use Random Number Generation to determine the outcome of each gaming round. Casino games should also be tested by independent labs to make sure they meet the industry standards.
Every player wants to get big casino bonuses. We’ve picked the best real money casino sites that will offer you top prizes as soon as you’ll sign up and many more rewards to keep you engaged. Our experts have thoroughly reviewed Terms and Conditions to make sure the bonus policy is fair and you can actually redeem the bonus and withdraw you wins. All the wagering requirements are reasonable, so you’ve a real opportunity to claim the prize, use it and win money.
Here are a few more criteria for online casinos in our rating:
- They should offer gambling on smartphones and tablets. Casinos may provide mobile casino apps or just optimize the website for instant play.
- Your private information should be safe. You reveal sensitive data when you register on the site and the casinomustn’t share it with any other companies, organizations, individuals etc. Moreover, it has to use encryption to protect this information and all the money transactions you make.
- A good support service is a must. The team should be able to help you in case of any issues 24 hours a day 7 days per week. They have to be responsive and be available via live chat, email and phone.
- All the major Responsible Gambling tools should be available. It includes personal betting and game session limits, self-exclusion, cool-off period and account closure.
One more criteria every online casino should meet is a fair withdrawal policy. It means that:
- the daily/weekly/monthly limits are reasonable;
- you can use all the most popular payment methods;
- transactions are proceeded quickly without any delays.
It’s also a big plus for the casino if it allows you to create an account in Australian currency. It means you won’t lose money on exchange fees, cause you’ll make deposits and withdrawals in AUD.
Available casino bonuses for Australian players
Top online casinos in Australia will offer players such bonuses:
- Welcome Bonus. This reward includes several deposit bonuses that will provide extra funds on your account and sometimes free spins. To claim the prize you have to create an account and make your first deposit. Casinos will offer bonuses for the first – fifth balance top-up.
- No deposit bonus. You can receive this reward if you’ll register on the website using the appropriate bonus code. You don’t need to make a deposit. No deposit bonus allows players to get real prizes without using their own funds on online gambling.
- Deposit bonuses. You can get a deposit bonus when you top up your casino balance. The prize may be provided as special promotion, loyalty program prize, exclusive offer etc.
- Free spins. Spinning the reels for free makes it possible to get prizes in pokie machines without betting your own money. Free spins are often provided only for certain casino games.
To receive even more bonuses and prizes you can take part in Australian casino lottery or tournament. By participating you get a chance to win free cash, table games chips, free spins, cashback bonus and even real gifts like iPhone.
Selection of casino games
Australian online casinos offer players all the popular games. In the website lobby you’ll find:
Most online casinos in Australia 2021 also have live casino games. It means you can get an incredible gambling experience playing table games with real live dealer while staying at home. You’ll see the dealer via online stream and communicate with him or her using live chat.
In case you want something even more fun and exciting, you can join virtual casinos. They have cutting edge virtual games that will definitely be the future of interactive gambling.
Still, for now the most popular games in Australian casinos are pokies. In the rest of the world they’re usually called “slot machines”. These games can be very different. There are 3-reel, 5-reel and 7-reel games. Some of them will even have two stacks with 5 reels. Slots allow you to win big prizes and get lucrative bonuses, while progressive jackpot pokies give you a chance to receive a huge reward that can be bigger than 1 000 000 AUD.
The software on Australian casino websites is developed by such companies as:
- Play’n Go
- 1×2 Gaming
To find the game you like just go to the lobby section and use a Search Bar to find it by name. You can also sort the games by provider or by such features as bonus or jackpot.
If you want to make a deposit or withdraw funds, you can use such payment methods:
Withdrawal time depends on the casino you’ve chosen and the banking method you use. E-wallet cashouts usually take 24 – 48 hours, debit card withdrawals are made within 3 – 5 business days and Bank Transfer requires up to 8 working days.